Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Fab 20

I just read "Fab" by Neil Gershenfeld of the Center for Bits and Atoms of MIT's Media Lab and got a lot of interesting ideas about hands-on, demand-driven education, with possible connections to our Santa Ve collaborations at the Santa Fe Complex (I think Owen Densmore of Redfish already knows about this). I like the book title in particular, since it's named after me...
The book also introduces the intriguing concept of the so-called Internet 0 (I0 - internet zero) protocol, which may have applications in our planned use of SunSpots for our Postmodern Postmortems and possibly our Gadgets 2.0 ideas. I missed the last workshop, so I better go visit Neil next time I'm at MIT. His two projects are called Fab and I0, so I expect that he may be interested in meeting someone with the combined name of FabI0...
For now, since we don't have our own Fab Lab (yet), I think we should simply explore the potential for creating (say) twenty Venice 2.0 designs through services like Ponoko, Zazzle, StyleShake, Spreadshirt, Cafepress and even Blurb, and begin connecting bits and atoms to produce cool, data-driven physical objects (furniture, mugs, t-shirts, ties, books?) as part of our anniversary...
Kyle is working on a t-shirt design, and I would personally like to play around with a GIS tie... so we need eighteen more to complete the Fab 20.

No comments: