Friday, October 17, 2008

Crossing the pond alone

WPI's term A has ended and the 31 students are on their way to Venice!  Monday they gave their final proposal presentations and Wednesday they presented their final Italian skits... Prof. Davis, who is co-advising these projects with me, is already on his way, and I am crossing the pond tomorrow as well.  Everyone should be there by Sunday.  The teams will be putting the final touches on their proposals early next week and will turn in everything for grading on Tuesday in Venice.  By Wednesday or Thursday we'll have our first group meal at Pampo's...
It's all happening so fast!  I've been doing this for 20 years and you'd think that I would have this process down to an art.  In some ways I do.  I don't really need to pack much and I pretty much just pick up and go to the airport with a small carry on... 
Nevertheless, leaving my family (Jacqueline and Nicolò) behind for two months has always been hard and it's getting harder rather than easier as time goes by.  I get to see my parents (Cino and Wilma), my sister Barbara and her husband Alberto and my cute nephews Samuele and Barnaba, but on the whole the process has always been somewhat bittersweet all these years.  I wish my loved ones could all travel with me when I go overseas, but school and other obligations conspire to keep us separate, which is one of the real impediments to widespread faculty participation in the global program.  It's great to be able to go back to my hometown every year, but it also has its drawbacks.  Anyway, off I go...
Next post will be from Venice!